Instructor, Preparatory Programs
Academic Upgrading and Workforce Development
Monday, May 14, 2018
Sunday, May 27, 2018 (midnight)
New Academic Position; Instruction areas of Math, Biology, Chemistry, Basic Computers
~~Conestoga College is a leader in polytechnic education. Our career-focused education, training and applied research programs prepare students for success, support industry and workforce needs, and promote economic prosperity throughout our region and across Ontario.
Conestoga’s Preparatory Programs is currently accepting applications for an Instructor position in Academic Upgrading to teach pre-college level Preparatory courses in the areas of Math, Biology, Chemistry and Basic Computer Skills. The location to teach these courses could include any of the following: Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, Stratford, and Brantford.
• Ensure student awareness of course objectives, instructional approach, and evaluation systems
• Carry out regularly scheduled instruction according to the format prescribed for the course, including as appropriate, classroom, computer-assisted, individualized learning, teacher-led, self-directed, and other instructional techniques
• Tutor and provide academic counsel to students in the assigned groups
• Evaluate student progress/achievement, assuming responsibility for the overall assessment of the students’ work within the assigned course, and maintain records as required
• Perform duties related to meeting Ministry-funded requirements which may include maintaining learner plans, grading related assessments, entering data in EOIS-CaMS
• Lead the student intake process by grading assessments, interviewing clients, developing individualized learner plans and assigning appropriate course codes
• Participate in Orientation of new students as well as Marketing/Recruitment activities
• Consult with the Professors responsible for the courses of instruction on the effectiveness of the instruction in attaining the stated program objectives
• Create and maintain a positive learning environment which supports the diversity of students’ cultures, educational backgrounds, and learning styles
• Support students in the use of the Learning Management System (D2L), as well as maintaining course materials within this system
• Participate in department, portfolio/school and college-wide activities/task groups as required
• Collaborate and build relations with Community partners, as well as other stakeholders
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant subject area or in Education.
• Minimum three years of teaching experience at a postsecondary level and/or adult training experience
• Ability to teach high school-level Math, Biology, Chemistry, and basic Microsoft Office Suite (no formal credential required)
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and problem solving skills
• Proven ability to contribute to and work in a positive team environment and to foster the same in students
• Demonstrated ability to work with diverse student populations as well as with students with significant barriers
• An excellent record of performance meeting student learning needs (i.e. performance evaluations)
• Experience in all of the following: a variety of delivery strategies, adult learning methodologies, academic advising, and student success strategies
• Computer literacy with Learning Management System/Web Delivery Software (i.e. D2L) and Student Information Systems
• Experience working with EOIS-CaMS would be considered an asset
Apply to this competition
| Print this competition
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Conestoga College is committed to workplace diversity and provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If you require accommodation, please contact Human Resources.